Monday, January 23, 2012

Birthday Birdies

s

I had a few hours to get crafty yesterday while Luis was building a little shelf for our cookbooks. This is one of the cards that I made and I played along with two challenges for it.  I used the colours from the Play Date Cafe and the sketch from Skipping Stones Design.  It's the first time any of these stamps have been inked up and I also used some patterned paper (from Basic Grey's Nook & Pantry collection) so I'm continuing to forge ahead with using up my stash!


We actually managed to get some odds and ends accomplished this weekend which I feel pretty good about.  We measured out several outdoor areas that need tiling and chose the tile.  We also took some artwork to get framed.  I had bought it in Mexico on our honeymoon last February with the intention of making my own frame for it.  Fast forward to now and it was still sitting on top of our bookshelf unframed so I broke down and took it to the framers.  It would probably be cheaper to do ourselves but if we haven't done it in all this time I don't foresee it happening any time soon and I'd rather get it up on the wall where it can be enjoyed.  I wish I was more of a do-it-yourselfer but alas, I am not.
Card Base:  Handy Hippo
Cardstock:  (Always Artichoke, Early Espresso, Basic Grey) Stampin' Up
Patterned Paper:  (Waffles from Nook & Pantry collection) Basic Grey
Stamps:  (Bird from Everyday Blessings, Sentiment & music notes from Heartsong, Background pattern from Grunge)
Inks:  (VersaMark) Tsukineko, (Early Espresso) Stampin' Up
Embossing Powder:  (Clear) Ranger

19 comments:

Jingle said...

This is SO cute! Thanks so much for playing along with Skipping Stones Design this week!

Lisa Elton said...

I agree this is so cute. Love this fun trio of birds ;)!

Lynn said...

I love those birds and the musical notes are the perfect touch Jen! Pat is handy...but I am not :) I'd be getting the pictures framed too!

Jackie Rockwell said...

Hi Jen, your take on the Play Date Cafe inspirational photo is spot on! Great card!!!

Anonymous said...

Another fantastic card Jen! Love the background and how you have used the colours from PDCC... I've found these a little difficult, but you have totally rocked it!

Lindsey said...

Fabulous card, Jen! Perfect placement of the birds, notes and sentiment. :)

Emily Leiphart said...

Woot, look at you breaking out the pp! ;) I love the muted tones of this card. Very sweet!

Karen B. said...

Ooh, so many wonderful textures and colors!

~Tammy~ said...

Don't you love it when you get things crossed off the list???

You worked both challenges beautifully! I totally love your take on the sketch! Pure awesomeness!

Jessi Fogan said...

Love the perfectly placed musical notes :) Hurray for getting some stuff done around the house! Our to-do list in that regard is so long we could probably wallpaper the house with it...since hubby thinks he is a DIY type, but really, he's a DIY planner. Not so much on the execution...

Katie Gehring said...

Loving those birthday birdies! Great take on the sketch! Thanks for playing along with the SSD sketch challenge this week!

Katie Gehring said...

Loving those birthday birdies! Great take on the sketch! Thanks for playing along with the SSD sketch challenge this week!

Karin Ã…kesdotter said...

LOVE your take on the color and sketch challenge - so beautiful!

Ruby said...

I've always loved this phrase, it works great with the three birds, lovely job with our colours! Thanks so much for playing along with us over at The Play Date Cafe!

Jenny said...

Love how you used the colours Jen and another paper sheet down in your quest ;)... I steer clear of paper because I buy it and never use it either, must be working because I've never heard of some of these collections! :)
Jenny x

Jinny Newlin said...

What a sweet, little trio of birds, Jen! Thanks so much for playing along with us this week at The Play Date Cafe!

Anonymous said...

love your popped up songbirds. lovely card!

Jocelyn Olson said...

You rocked these *difficult* colors! I love that the card would work for a guy or girl. The dimension of the birds is perfect!

Well, don't feel bad about the framing....it does always look beter when pictures are professionally framed. :) Glad you got to get some projects done.

Denise said...

I love the little music notes - a perfect accent for your song birds. Thanks for joining us this week at the Play Date Cafe!