Saturday, January 9, 2016

Skipping Stones Tip/Technique Hop


Hi there!  Welcome to the monthly Skipping Stones Design Team Tip/Technique Blog Hop.  You should have arrived here from Ilina's blog.

For my card today I used the ever popular "smooshing" technique.  If you're like me and are not very confident at using watercolors then this technique is perfect for you.  There are lots of great "how to" videos but two of my favourites are this one from Laura Bassen and this one from Lindsay Amrhein.  For my card I put a couple of drops from my Peacock Feathers reinker onto a piece of acetate, spritzed it with some water and smooshed it onto the corner of my die cut watercolor paper.  I love that fact that you can create multiple cards with this technique and all the backgrounds will be slightly different depending on how the ink smooshes   

The butterfly from Breathtaking Butterflies is stamped onto some orange Bo Bunny paper and then fussy cut and popped up on foam tape.  The sentiment is taken from Heartsong 2. I added black gems to the body of the butterfly to make is pop a bit more and scattered some clear gems around it.

Okay, time to get hopping.  You should now be heading on to Kandi's blog.  If you get lost just head back to the Skipping Stones Design Blog to start or see the list below.  Be sure and leave comments along the way for the chance to be entered in the giveaway!  Also check out all the awesome stamp sets in the 
Skipping Stones store!

The Skipping Stones Design Blog
Coralynn
Ilina
Jen  <--- You are here!

Kandi
Larissa
Martha Lucia
Stephanie
Tanja

Teresa

Supplies Used:
Cardstock:  (White) Papertrey Ink, (Basic Black) Stampin' Up
Patterned Paper:  (Barefoot Laid Back 12x12) Bo Bunny
Stamps:  (Butterfly from Breathtaking Butterflies, Sentiment from Heartsong 2) Skipping Stones Design
Inks:  (VersaFine Onyx Black) Tsukineko, (Peacock Feathers Distress Ink) Ranger
Die:  (Stitched Rectangle) Avery Elle
Gems:  Recollections

21 comments:

Karen B. said...

Good golly this is beautiful and the technique is a perfect background!

Niccolette Coquelicots said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Niccolette Coquelicots said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Niccolette Coquelicots said...

Hi Jen!

It's muy first time un tour blog and I like it!

I love your card <3

The background is pretty and the flowers is the best of the card! :)
The stamps are wonderfull :)

Beautiful colors!

Mi blog is http://desommeilsdeniccolette.blogspot.com.es/?m=0

Kisses from Spain

~ Niccolette Coquelicots ~

Lisa Petrella said...

Gorgeous card, Jen! I love the smooshed ink background and your fussy cutting is so perfect that it looks like it was die-cut!! I also love the gems you added to the butterfly's body and around the butterfly too!

Sweet April said...

Stunning butterfly card,it's so special,calm,creative,elegant!Thanks for sharing your technique,love it!I love to learn more and more(I'm new in this hobby).

Kandi Phillips said...

Such a stunning card Jen, love the background! Excited to be on the SSD team with you!

Arianna Barbara said...

Oh wow! This card is beautiful! Thanks for sharing and Happy New Year!!!

None None said...

This is smooshily stunning! I love how you achieved that effect and will have to give it a try myself as I've been struggling to master (or even try to get a decent look with) my watercoloring mediums.

I Card Everyone said...

I LOve your smooshing card! but I also love your butterfly - brought me right back to our fun hatch last summer!
=]

Darnell said...

This is a really perfect sympathy card design, Jen! And you did a masterful job with your smooching!! Hugs, Darnell

Unknown said...

Love it! The teal watercolor is so pretty with the orange butterfly. Love the partial ink smooshing look!

Happy Dance said...

Pretty Sympathy card. The blue really compliments that butterfly, and I love the border around your watercolor paper. Sweet card. Bev

Satori said...

Oh, this is a wonderful technique! So organic. Controlled, yet not.

Lisa Elton said...

You smoosh so well Jen, awesome card!!

Patty said...

My sympathy cards always seem to follow the same pattern. Thank you for this beautiful card and the inspiration to try a new design!

Linda Batson said...

I love the technique you explained it so easily. I'm going to have to get some watercolor paper and give this a try.

Marlena M. said...

Gorgeous effect! I've never tried this technique but I love the way it looks here~

Laura Cox {aka scrapaddict} said...

Wonderful card! Love the ink smoosh!

Deepti said...

Beautiful card :)

Janis said...

Love the offset smooshing! So pretty with your butterfly!!
<3 J

jwoolbright at gmail dot com
HerPeacefulGarden.blogspot.com