Saturday, September 19, 2015

Back to the Craft Cave


Hi there.  It feels like it's been ages since I've been here.  I was down and out for most of the week with a sinus infection.  Note to self:  Next time you think you might have a sinus infection do not wait until the earache sets in before going to the doctor.  Not fun…  

Today is the first day I've been in the Craft Cave since last Wednesday.  Luis was painting the kitchen (my offer to help was declined) so I had a good chunk of time to get crafty.  My first card is for the PS Sparks Picture Perfect challenge.  I embossed some borders from Tri-balation and then played with the smooshing watercolor technique.  The sentiment circle was made by layering the same colour three times while drying between each layer.  I think I like that part better than the background!




Supplies Used:
Cardstock:  (White) Ranger, (Basic Black) Stampin' Up
Stamps:  (Triangles from Tri-balation, Sentiment from Word Salad) Paper Smooches
Inks:  (VersaMark) Tsukineko
Embossing Powder:  (Opaque Bright White Super Fine) Wow
Punches:  (1 1/4" circle) EK Success, (2" & 2 1/2" circles) Marvy Uchida
Paint:  (Watercolours) Loew Cornell
Gems:  Recollections















Next up is a card using the colour combo at The Challenge and the Anything Goes theme at Seize the Birthday.  I ran this Lil Inker die through my Cuttlebug with 5 different colours and then pieced it all together and layered a vellum sentiment on top.  I wanted to do this with glitter paper but my DCWV glitter paper really doesn't cut very well - I think because of the coated paper on the back side of it.  I tried it with a metal shim but still had to go over most of the cut lines with my craft knife and that just got too messy.  If anyone has any suggestions or tips for die cutting that stuff I'd love to hear them!

Supplies Used:
Cardstock:  (Blushing Bride, Real Red, Bermuda Bay, Island Indigo, Basic Black) Stampin' Up, (Vellum) Strathmore
Stamps:  (Sentiment from Birthday Bash) Altenew
Inks:  (VersaMark) Tsukineko
Embossing Powder:  (Clear) Ranger
Dies:  (Faceted Cover Up) Lil Inker Designs
Gems:  Recollections















My final card uses the inspiration photo at The Card Concept and the Die Crazy theme at the Simon Says Wednesday challenge.  I think the inspiration is pretty obvious (flowers, colours) and I'd put my card into the Clean and Simple category for the Card Concept.  The vases and flowers are all die cuts.  

Supplies Used:
Cardstock:  (White) Bazzill, (Daffodil Delight, Tempting Turquoise, Smokey Slate, Basic Grey, Basic Black) Stampin' Up
Stamps:  (Sentiment from Birthday Greetings) Altenew
Inks:  (VersaFine Onyx Black) Tsukineko
Dies:  (Die-namics Flower Trio) My Favourite Things, (Mega Gracious Vases) Papertrey Ink
Punches:  (1/4" & 5/16" hole punches) McGill
Glitter:  (Yellow Stickles) Ranger




18 comments:

Lynn said...

You have been a busy bee Jen! Love all of your cards..especially the fabulous first one..that subtle inking is gorgeous.

Hope you are back to 100% soon!

Lynn said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lesley said...

Ya! Happy you played and love that geometric design you did here! Such a clever way to incorporate the colours! Thanks for joining us at The Challenge!

lostinpaper said...

Great cards Jen, loving those funky flower vases! (for some reason Scott won't let me help paint either... maybe it's because I paint in rainbows and flowers lol)

Aileen said...

Jen, beautiful card. Love the single flower in each vase. Looks really good

Debbie said...

Your daisies really pop off the page and the yellow Stickle centers are very pretty. Great CAS card. Thanks for playing at The Card Concept Challenge!

Claire Broadwater said...

Jen, I love the graphic design of your card and the way you incorporated the colors! So fun! Thank you for joining us at The Challenge this week! XX

Lisa Petrella said...

All three of these are fabulous, Jen! I especially love how your background turned out on the first card!!! And that die you used for the second card was a perfect way to incorporate the colors from the color challenge!! AWESOME!!!

Erin said...

All three cards are fantastic! I love the beautiful colors on the top card. Gorgeous!

Thanks for joining us this week at Paper Smooches Sparks!

Lisa Arana said...

Super cool cards, I just LOVE those great backgrounds. Thanks so much for playing along with this weeks Paper Smooches SPARKS challenge.

Peanut said...

Such pretty cards, Jen. At a push my fave would be the first...the subtle bg is very pretty. Thank you for your encouraging comments on my blog.
x Asha

MackieMade Paper Creations said...

Wow busy girl!!! All of these cards are so special in their own unique ways!!! LOVE!!!!
Thanks for joining us the Card Concept!

Colleen said...

Jen your geometric card is amazing and WOW so much thought to put it all back together with all those fun colors! Thank you for sharing it at STB!

Joyce said...

So many awesome creations AND you did not have to paint the kitchen. What a win for everyone!

Glenda J said...

Jen - these are all terrific!!! Love your fabulous and bold designs. Especially love the backgrounds on the first two. Thanks for playing along with Seize the Birthday.

Hannelie said...

I so love visiting you Jen... must be because you give my eyes so much to feast on! Bold graphic and colorful. Just the way I like it!
Also a BIG thanks for playing at Seize the birthday!

Jingle said...

These are both really fantastic! Thanks so much for playing along with us over on the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge blog!

Lindsey said...

It's obviously been a while since I've been here too, obviously. ;) Sorry about the sinus infection, yuck. At least it didn't rob you of your mojo — these are all awesome!