Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Candy Cane Madness & Heat Tool Drama


Hi there!  Popping in with an entry for the latest challenge at Jay Gee's Nook.  The photo inspiration collages are always gorgeous although I don't play along as often as I'd like.  This time I was inspired by the middle picture on the right side - love that candy cane inspired comforter!  I pulled out a few different stamp companies for this one - the noteblock is Purple Onion Designs, the candy cane is Neat and Tangled and the bow is Papertrey Ink.  

This is one of the last cards I made before my heat gun died.  :( For 5 years I've had an EK Success Colourizer and I loved it!  It had two heat settings and was super quick to melt embossing powder.  I noticed it was starting to slow down a bit recently though so I tried to order a new one.  Unfortunately they don't seem to make them anymore so I ordered a Ranger heat tool.  I'm glad I did as it was here and ready to use when the Colourizer died but I'm not impressed with it.  It takes forever to melt the powder and it seems to only work when placed at one very specific angle to the paper.  It's really put me off heat embossing now as it takes so long.  :(  Any recommendations on other brands?


Supplies Used:
Cardstock:  (White) Bazzill
Patterned Paper:  Anna Griffin
Stamps:  (Christmas Noteblock) Purple Onion Designs, (Candy cane from Sweet Home) Neat & Tangled, (Bow from Bells & Boughs) PTI
Inks:  (VersaMark, VersaFine Onyx Black) Tsukineko
Embossing Powder:  (Clear) Ranger
Punch:  (1/8" hole punch) McGill
Copics:  R46, G07

12 comments:

Lynn said...

First things first...your card is gorgeous. and I have to admit, I'm not much of a heat embosser. I have Stampin' Up one that seems to work pretty well...Sorry I can't be of more help!

None None said...

Love your card, Jen!!! Such a fantastic take on the inspiration. I'm so sorry to hear about your heat tool drama. :-( I have a Stampin' Up! one as well (but the old one) that I really like. They have a new one that has two heat settings and I've heard that people really like it as well. I also have a Marvy Uchida Heat Gun as a back-up that is decent so I haven't felt the urge to get the new Stampin' Up! tool.

~amy~ said...

How super fun and festive!
Happy Thanksgiving!

Tracey McNeely said...

Love the subway art Jen--your card is fabulous! I have a Hot Boss and have had it for years. I do have to be careful because it is so hot and can warp the paper so fast.

Cynthia said...

I thought it was just me with that Ranger heat gun! It takes FOREVER to melt embossing powder! I had a Marvy-Uchida for years and had no problems...until the day it died. :-)

And your card is awesome! Love those stripes!!

Jay Gee said...

Fabulous card Jen, love the candy cane stripes :) Thanks so much for joining us at Jay Gee's.

I can't help much with the heat gun... I have a cheap one I picked up at the local hardware store - all I can say is thank goodness I don't heat emboss often!

lostinpaper said...

You card is UBER cool Jen!
I have a Papermania heat tool, I like that it has 2 heat settings, but it can be slow to emboss (although it is getting old). I've been looking at the Wagner heat tool.... I know that Kristina Werner mentioned her new Hero Arts Heat Tool was fab. Hope this is helpful, I'd like to know the answer as well.

Lindsey said...

Heat tools can die? Oh no! I've had my Marvy Uchida one FOREVER. And plan to keep it FOREVER. :P
I'm glad yours survived long enough to make this card -- love the noteblock on the candy cane stripes. You would never know the candy cane and bow are two totally different stamps/companies!

Jessi Fogan said...

I love the stripy background for the Noteblock. That's too cool! And how perfectly the candy cane & bow work together :) My heat tool is a Marvy Uchida...I've had it since 2004, and it's still going strong.

Karen B. said...

Sorry to hear of your heat gun tool drama, I have a really old one that was given to me so no recommendations here! Your card is brilliant, looks so cool with the words stamped over the pattern.

Jenny said...

Love these big word art stamps.... looks perfect on that striped bkgd too :0)
Jenny x

Lisa Arana said...

Brilliant card!!! I have a marvy uchida and it is the only one I have ever had. Sometimes I wonder if there is a better one out there. This one really warps the paper, but then again, I don't know if they all do that because of the heat. It works and I'm sticking with it. Lol.