Monday, December 12, 2011

Read the Directions!


This project ended up taking ages as I didn't read the directions properly for 2 challenges!  I loved the colours for last week's ColourQ challenge and decided to make a card with a book theme for the Celebrating Hobbies Challenge in the Moxie Fab World.  Luckily I stopped by Christina's and Kasia's blogs and it finally sunk into my thick skull that we were supposed to make anything BUT a card.  So change of plans.  I decided to stick with the theme but I'd make a bookmark instead!  Brilliant!  So I made my bookmark and was very pleased with it until I reread the rules at Moxie Fab - "Create a paper crafted card".  DOH!!  So I came up with a little card to tuck my bookmark into but by that point the ColourQ deadline was way past so now I'll only be entering this puppy over at Moxie Fab.  Moral of the story - don't get distracted by the pretty pictures - read the fine print!  :)  

Before I go I want to share a couple of pictures from this year's Christmas Boat Parade on Saturday night.  Over 70 boats took part and it was a perfect, clear, calm evening for the event.  This boat was my favourite:
They had the Star Wars theme blasting and everyone on the boat was dressed up like characters from the movie.  (Sorry the photo's not so great - had trouble figuring out what settings to use!)  A few other cute ones:




Oh no!  De po-po locked up Santa!
Charlie Brown kind of looks like a cyclops in this picture...
Supplies Used:
Cardstock:  (Kraft) Gina K, (Poppy Parade, Certainly Celery, Tempting Turquoise) Stampin' Up
Stamps:  (Image and sentiment from Books a'Flutter by Ippity, Sentiment on bookmark from Oct 2011 KOM - Faith, Hope, Love...Live By It) Unity Stamp Co
Inks:  (VersaMark) Tsukineko, (Poppy Parade) Stampin' Up
Embossing Powder:  (Seafoam White) Ranger
Die:  (Half & Half) PTI
Ribbon:  Craft supply (Think it was from some Doodlebug packaging)

22 comments:

Lynn said...

Well, I love them both! And you made me laugh! Totally something I would do!

The pictures from the parade are amazing Jen!

Anonymous said...

We've all done it.... grandiose plans, leave things too late, not read the fine print... At least you came to a save at the end, this card/bookmark is such a fabulous idea and I love how it turned out!
These boats are awesome! TFS.

Diane Jaquay said...

CUTE card and tag!! Love the butterfly sitting on the stack of books, such a neat image!

Jay Gee said...

LOL... at least you made a fabulous card and book mark!

The boat parade looks amazing!

~Tammy~ said...

Thanks for sharing your boat parade pics! The comment about Charlie Brown made me laugh out loud! He sure does look like a cyclops! Ha! Your card and book mark are perfect! Great take for the challenges!

Lindsey said...

I love your boat parade pics! Thanks for sharing them.
The challenges' fine print may have caught you, but who cares when you end up with great creations? ;)

Glenda J said...

This is so fun! Love the colours and design!

I think it just says "create a paper crafted card" so I think your ok regardless.

Kirsty, New Zealand said...

the bookmark is so sweet ... all the things i love about reading, do you do posters jen?! that boat parade is so cool, the peeps loved seeing the pictures and ben thanks you for his birthday wishes ... star wars is his favourite, no surprise there!

Paper Crafts & Scrapbooking Editor said...

Hey Jen! Thanks for linking this up to the Celebrating Hobbies Challenge in the Moxie Fab World. I'm so glad you joined in on all the fun! :)

Jessi Fogan said...

Cyclops Charlie Brown...he'll haunt my dreams now ;) lol My oldest would've died of excitement to see that Star Wars boat!!
Reading the fine print...what, are we lawyers or something? Sheesh :) Besides, now the rest of us get to see 2 awesome projects from you! Love the incredible detail of the paper piecing, and both sentiments, and the embossing on the card...fabulous :)

Karen B. said...

Love the creative thinking behind your card/bookmark! I don't know why, but I really like reading about those kinds of things. It turned out fantastic! Love the colors!

Maria said...

Super cute! love the colors!
Hugs,

Maria

Emily Leiphart said...

I totally love this card with a pull-out bookmark! Beautiful use of the colours. Those pictures are fabulous and I totally laughed when I read 'Charlie Brown looks like a cyclops.' LOL

Michelle said...

Hahaha! Twice I went to make a card with those gorgeous colours, and twice I remembered it was "anything but a card"! And I never got the "anything but..." made, LOL!

It all ended well, though, because there you are featured over at Moxie Fab World. :-) Congratulations!

Regina Mangum said...

Hi Jen! Darling card and congrats! Can you tell me what you used to emboss the text on the celery cardstock? It's so cute!

Chunyuan said...

Great desing. Love the embossed text background with bookmark and stamped books. Congrats on your win.

Anonymous said...

ha, I have screwed up so many challenges by not reading close enough. Well, both turned out lovely!

JenMarie said...

Just saw your FABULOUS card on the Moxie Fab blog! I so LOVE that IPPITY set!! Congrats!

Andrea L - EnchantINK said...

Hi! Love this idea ... the Crumb Cake is perfect as a base for these colours! Hugs xx

Jessi Fogan said...

{{{{{WOOOHOOOOO!!!!!!}}}}
I was so incredibly excited to see that you'd won the challenge over at MFW - so very well deserved, Jen, and I wanted to give you a big crafty hug & pat on the back :)

Helen F. said...

YAY, Jen! Congrats on your win~of course, I think all of your cards are winners :o) This one is really sweet.
Love the boat parade photos. Our parade is this Saturday night, hope to get some good pics to show too.
{{{HUGS}}}

Unknown said...

Woohoo, congrats on this Jen! It's so funny how we all have missed the fine print on challenges...I've famous for just totally missing the deadline! I love how you used your {ippity}!!! And these pictures are soooo cool...what a fantastic time you had!